Clara’s Favourite Roosterkoek
- 1kg flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 10g sachet instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500 – 750ml water
- 200g cheese (gouda/cheddar/mozzarella) grated
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 5 tbsp chutney
- 1 red hot chili, chopped (optional)
- Place the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the yeast and sugar into the well. Pour the salt around the edge of the bowl. (If the salt touches the yeast it will kill it and then the dough won’t rise).
- Add a splash of water to the well and start combining the ingredients slowly. You can use your fingers. Add more water as you go and keep mixing until it’s well combined.
- Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes until it’s firm and soft as a baby’s bottom. (If the dough is sticky and you need to add more flour, simply dust the table top with it).
- Place a cloth over the dough and put the bowl in a warm place. Leave for about 40 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Meanwhile, combine the cheese, spring onion, chutney and chili in a bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- When the dough is ready, turn it out onto your surface and knead it once or twice, then cut into small fist-sized portions. Flatten out each portion – you can use your hands or a rolling pin – and then place 2 tbsp of the filling on one side of the dough. Fold over the other half and seal the sides with your fingers. Place stitched side down on a dusted oven tray until the coals are medium hot and ready. Use braai tongs to carefully place each koek on the grid.
- Make sure to turn the breads every so often to prevent them from burning. You’ll know when they’re cooked if they sound hollow when you tap them. The sides will also feel firm.
- Eat and enjoy! They’ll go so quickly everyone will love you from now on!