- 1 litre good beef stock
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 thick thumb ginger, peeled
- 2 chillis, chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 drops sesame seed oil
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- ¼ green cabbage, core removed and finely shredded
- 6 radishes, finely sliced
- 4 portions good quality egg noodles, cooked
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 raw beef fillets, cut into very, very thin strips (the hot stock will cook the meat)
- 1 handful coriander leaves, picked from the stems
Super mega easy
- Heat the beef stock in a pot
- In a pestle and mortar, bash together the garlic, ginger, lime zest and 1 chilli until well combined (if you don’t have a pestle and mortar, use a blender)
- Add the garlic mix to the stock, then add the soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame seed oil and lime juice. (Adjust the seasoning with more soy sauce and fish sauce if you like.)
- In 4 large bowls, neatly arrange the cabbage, noodles, meat, spring onion, chilli, radish and sesame seeds. Make the effort and make it look nice, this is essential.
- Now gently ladle the stock onto the arranged ingredients, top off with a few coriander leaves and serve immediately. You will never look back. Ever.
- You can also use a sirloin or ribeye steak
- Add what your heart desires! I love bean sprouts, shredded nori sheets, a medium boiled egg cut in half, enoki mushrooms or fresh shiitake mushrooms.
- When you’re not feeling well this dish will warm you and give you strength.