- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red chili, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 kg tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 big glugs fresh cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 handful basil leaves, torn
- good quality basil pesto
- Place a large pot on medium heat. Add 4 glugs olive oil, onion, garlic and chilli. Fry quickly until translucent.
- Stir in the tomatoes and pop on the lid. Leave to cook, covered, for about 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add the basil and then puree the soup with a stick blender until smooth. Make sure the tomato skins are blended until completely fine.
- Add the cream. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. Check the seasoning and adjust according to your taste.
- Pour the soup into a warmed bowl, add a dollop of pesto, a lashing of olive oil and serve with crusty bread.